Hi there, this is a really old post and most of this stuff has already been done, or not implemented.
Anything marked with an '*' has been done. Anything marked with a '@' was not changed.
What's in the future for Challenger? Well, I plan to continue to rely on the help of my completely epic playtesters and readers. Joining that group of epic people is just as easy as dropping me a line via e-mail and telling me what you want fixed or improved in Challenger.
There is currently a new revision of Challenger in the works. I have many fine people involved in the brainstorming process already. The planned changes (so far) are as follows:
- Rework the entire Skills Chapter and make it simpler, more effective, and more clear. *
- Remove/Rework Broad Skills. @
- Add Weapon Damage to the game while including an option for 'classic style' set damage. *
- Rework all powers/monsters/adventures/magic items to update to the new weapon damage rules (see above). *
- Include an entry in every class for: Armor Training, Weapon Training, and Skills available. *
- Rework all class descriptions to make them more cool. Possibly alphabetize the classes and races (if I'm not too lazy). *
- Alphabetize and rework the glossary to make things simpler and more clear. *
- Include an entry for new players at the start of the book (because so many people totally new to the hobby are checking out Challenger). *
- Improve general quality and layout. *
- Possibly include an example Dungeon Map to aid new GM's in creating their own adventures. *
- Better explanation of strange acronyms for new players. *
- Rework the entire Equipment section to make it less random. Give Weapons and Armor individual entries. *
- Include more monsters (by request). *
- Possibly include more playable classes (this was requested, but nobody has given me any ideas for new classes, so I'm kind of stuck there). @
- Update the Amazon Challenger file to that of the newer PDF version on RPGnow with more artwork (some people have noticed this. What can I say? I'm lazy, the current newest version is the PDF version on RPGnow.com and in the print book. It's a lot of work messing around with different ePub and Mobi formats). *
- Improve the ToC. *
- Add Bookmarks to the PDF. *
- Make it easier for new players with a help section in the introduction. De-emphasize rules and number crunching and emphasize story in the introduction. *
- Thinking about adding in a "Telekinetic" character class. *
If you have any ideas for further revisions or improvements, please let me know! If you disagree with any of above changes (or agree with them) please, also, let me know. I look forward to hearing your opinion on how to improve Challenger.
David L. Dostaler
Author, Challenger RPG